alumni stories

Campus Blog

Macomb resources help alumni earn physical therapy assistant degree

Friday, August 23, 2024 12:00 AM

David Hendren
David Hendren
Going to college and earning a degree can be challenging for many people, For Macomb alumnus David Hendren, 32, it’s as tough as conquering some of the world’s most intense obstacle courses, including the Tough Mudder.

Teamwork is what helped David conquer the obstacle course and earn his college degree. That’s because David relied on Macomb’s resources to help him succeed when earning his physical therapy assistant degree.

An obstacle course like no other

David has competed in four Tough Mudder events. According to its website, the Tough Mudder is a community of normal individuals with an abnormal commitment to overcoming challenge.

“The Tough Mudder is a very challenging race. You must climb over huge obstacles, crawl through mud and under barbed wire,” David said. “I compare my college experience because there are a lot of things that challenge you through both.”

Macomb helps students overcome obstacles

David was selected to speak at commencement about the similarities he noticed between participating in the Tough Mudder and studying at Macomb. He noted that teamwork is important to succeed at both.

While David relied on his team to help him push through the challenging Tough Mudder obstacles, he leaned on study groups and tutoring in challenging classes, including anatomy.  “The tutors helped push me to that A in that class,” he said.  “There are obstacles that are extremely challenging, and you end up failing at (some).  Some obstacles you need teamwork to overcome and some obstacles I impressed myself into completing.”

A solid foundation for helping others

David’s perseverance throughout the many challenges he faced at Macomb has paid off. Not only has he earned a physical therapy assistant degree, but he is also considering pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy.  Whatever route he chooses, David will achieve his goal of helping physical therapy patients improve their mobility, function and quality of life.

“I do enjoy helping people recover, but doctors, nurses and even non-health care professionals help people,” David said. “I wanted something where I can help people build a better quality of life and use my knowledge and hands to do that.”

As a physical therapist assistant David will use techniques including massage, heat treatment, exercise and more to help patients recover. If this sounds like a path you’re interested in, please read more about how you can get started in Macomb’s physical therapy program.